With a methodologic background, my breadth of research interests includes research design (particularly at clinical, epidemiologic and health services research level), sample size and power analysis, statistical design, sampling and patient recruitment, data and statistical analysis, and complex statistical modeling (e.g., repeated measures mixed effect models).
Our lab has done a lot of HIV research and am interested in antiretroviral medication adherence, measurement of adherence, the relationships between ARV adherence and virologic and clinical outcomes, substance abuse and HIV, and real time monitoring of adherence with information technology. For oral health, we are interested in measurement of oral health, selection of oral health items, creation of oral health item banks, self-care centered oral health models, and the relationships between oral health and systemic diseases (e.g., HIV, diabetes and cardiovascular diseases).
Areas of Expertise:
Study design, sample size calculation and power analysis, sampling, analytical plans, data analysis and statistical modeling, population based studies, HIV medication adherence, and virologic and clinical outcomes, oral health calibration models, and oral health survey, measurements, item banks, and oral health toolkits development.
Current Projects and Grants
- Measuring and Monitoring Adherence to ART With Pill Ingestible Sensor System
- Oral Health Patient Reported Outcome Measuerment Information System
- Los Angeles County Smile Survey Screening
- Los Angeles County Oral Health Consosium
- Liu, H., Daar, E., Wang, Y., Siqueiros, L., Campbell, K., Shen, J., ... & Young, T. (2019). Pharmacokinetics of Coencapsulated Antiretrovirals with Ingestible Sensors. AIDS research and human retroviruses. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/31516025
- Wang, Y., Hays, R., Marcus, M., Maida, C., Shen, J., Xiong, D., ... & Liu, H. (2019). Development of a parents’ short form survey of their children's oral health. International journal of paediatric dentistry, 29(3), 332-344. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/
- Liu, H., Hays, R., Wang, Y., Marcus, M., Maida, C., Shen, J., ... & Crall, J. (2018). Short form development for oral health patient-reported outcome evaluation in children and adolescents. Quality of life research, 27(6), 1599-1611. https://www.ncbi.nlm.
- Liu, H., Hays, R. D., Marcus, M., Coulter, I., Maida, C., Ramos-Gomez, F., ... & Cai, L. (2016). Patient-reported oral health outcome measurement for children and adolescents. BMC oral health, 16(1), 95. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27634621
- Liu, H., Marcus, M., Maida, C. A., Wang, Y., Shen, J., & Spolsky, V. W. (2013). Predictive power of the severity measure of attachment loss for periodontal care need. Journal of periodontology, 84(10), 1409-1415. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/231738
List of collaborators within and outside of UCLA:
- Ron Hays, PhD (School of Medicine)
- Eric Daar, MD (Harbor-UCLA medical center)
- Marc Rosen, PhD (Yale University)
List of Lab Members:
- Jie Shen, PhD
- Yan Wang, PhD
- Di Xiong, PhD Candidate
I teach study design, biostatistics as well as secondary data analysis. I also advise Ph.D. students with their research and dissertations.