Honghu Liu, Ph.D.
- (310) 794-0700
UCLA School of Dentistry
10833 Le Conte Ave.
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1668
With more than 20 years of experience in study design, data analysis and statistical modeling, I have done extensive research with a broad range of topics in medicine, dentistry, health services research, and public health, resulting in extensive publications. I teach study design, biostatistics as well as secondary data analysis. I also advise Ph.D. students with their research and dissertations.
- Liu HH, Weiss RE, Jennrich IR, Wenger NS. PRESS Model Selection for Repeated Measures data, Journal of Computational Statistics & Data Analysis 1999, 30(2):169-184.
- Liu HH, Golin C, Miller LG, Hays RD, Beck K, Sanandaji S, Christian J, Maldonado T, Duran D, Kaplan A, Wenger NS. A comparison study of multiple measures of adherence to HIV protease inhibitors. Annals of Internal Medicine 2001;134:968-977.
- Liu HH and Wu TT. Sample size calculation and power analysis for Time-averaged difference. Journal of Modern Applied Statistical Methods. 2005;4(2):434-445.
- Liu H, Maida CA, Spolsky VW, Shen J, Li H, Zhou X, Marcus M. Calibration of self-reported oral health to clinically determined standards. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 2010; 38:527-39.
- Liu H, Wilson IB, Goggin K, Reynolds N, Simoni JM, Golin CE, Rosen MI, Gross R, Wagner G, Remien RH, Schneiderman N, Erien JA, Arnsten JH, Bangsberg DR. MACH14: A Multi-Site Collaboration on ART Adherence Among 14 Institutions. AIDS Behav 2013; 17(1):127-41.
Introduction to Critical Thinking and Lifelong Learning, PFD101
Data Collection & Research Design - Health Services Research (graduate course), HSR265
Graduate Student Individual Study Guide, PH596
B.S. in Computer Science, Department of Computer Science, Northwestern University, 1983
Diploma for Computer System in Medical Research, Shanghai First Medical University, 1985
Diploma for Computer System Management, Digital Equipment Cooperation Training Center (DEC), Bedford, Boston, 1986
M.S. in Biostatistics, Department of Biostatistics, School of Public Health, UCLA, 1989
Ph.D. in Biostatistics, Department of Biostatistics, School of Public Health, UCLA, 1994
With a methodologic background, my breadth of research interests includes research design (particularly at clinical, epidemiologic and health services research level), sample size and power analysis, statistical design, sampling and patient recruitment, data and statistical analysis, and complex statistical modeling (e.g., repeated measures mixed effect models).
I have done a lot of HIV research and am interested in antiretroviral medication adherence, measurement of adherence, the relationships between ARV adherence and virologic and clinical outcomes, substance abuse and HIV, and real time monitoring of adherence with information technology. For oral health, I am interested in measurement of oral health, selection of oral health items, creation of oral health item banks, self-care centered oral health models, and the relationships between oral health and systemic diseases (e.g., HIV, diabetes and cardiovascular diseases).
Areas of Expertise:
Study design, sample size calculation and power analysis, sampling, analytical plans, data analysis and statistical modeling, population based studies, HIV medication adherence, and virologic and clinical outcomes, oral health calibration models, and oral health survey, measurements and item banks.