Vivek Shetty, D.D.S., DR.MED.DENT.
- (310) 825-0834
- (310) 825-5170
UCLA School of Dentistry
10833 Le Conte Ave.
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1668
Dr. Shetty is a Professor of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery/Biomedical Engineering at the University of California, Los Angeles. A translational clinician-scientist, his research interests are driven by the health disparities that burden vulnerable populations (e.g., socioeconomically marginalized racial/ethnic minorities, uninsured, elderly). To help address the health inequities, he leads a transdisciplinary research program developing digital technologies that support equitable and universal access to health services and enhance the ability of health systems to deliver quality and affordable preventive care at population-level scale. A strong proponent of the public university’s role as an instrument of social good, he has served UCLA in multiple capacities including Academic Senate Chair, Assistant Vice Chancellor for Research, and member of the campus Council on Academic Personnel. Additionally, he leads national training programs (i.e., NIH-mHealth Training Institute, NIH-Mobile Sensor Data to Knowledge Center, mHealthHUB) dedicated to developing a national capacity of transdisciplinary researchers who will design and implement technology-enabled improvements in healthcare.
- Akther S, Saleheen N, Samiei SA, Shetty V, Ertin E, Kumar S. mORAL: An mHealth Model for Inferring Oral Hygiene Behaviors in-the-wild Using Wrist-worn Inertial Sensors. Proceedings of the ACM on Interactive, Mobile, Wearable and Ubiquitous Technologies. 2019;3(1):1
- Yamaguchi M, Okamura S , Yamaji T, Shetty V,et al. Plasma cytokine levels and the presence of colorectal cancer. PLoS One; San Francisco. 2019;14(3)
- Shetty V, Yamamoto J, Yale K. Re-architecting oral healthcare for the 21st century. Journal of Dentistry. 2018;74:S10-S14
- Shetty V, Yamaguchi M. Point-of-Care Testing in the Time of P5 Medicine. Sensors and Materials. 2016;28(10):1141-1148.
- Yamaguchi M, Katagata H, Tezuka Y, Niwa D, Shetty V. Automated-immunosensor with centrifugal fluid valves for salivary cortisol measurement. Sensing and Bio-Sensing Research. 2015;1:15-20.2014
- Robles T, Elashoff DA, Harrell L, Shetty V. Salivary biomarkers and post-trauma psychopathology: challenges and opportunities. Psychosomatic Medicine. 2013;75(3):A17-A17.
- D.D.S., University of Bombay, India, 1981
- Certificate, Universität Regensburg, Germany, (Oral/Maxillofacial Surgery), 1988
- Fellowship, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston (Oral/Maxillofacial Surgery), 1989
- Fellowship, University of California, Los Angeles (Oral/Maxillofacial Surgery), 1990
- Dr.Med.Dent., Medizinische Fakultät, Universität Regensburg, Germany, 1992
- Health Disparities
- Technology-facilitated self-care and personalized behavioral interventions
- Saliva-based Point of Care screening of traumatic injuries
- Research Recognition Award for outstanding contributions to specialty. Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Foundation (2011)
- Daniel M. Laskin Award for most outstanding research article published (2009)
- Presidential Citation. American Dental Education Association (2009)
- Leibinger Award for Facial Injury Research. International Association for Dental Research (2002)