1. How do I become a licensed dentist in California?

  • The Dental Board of California outlines the licensure process on its website.

  • Licensure is determined by each state. Details on other states' requirements can be found on the ADA website.

2. Where will I live? How will I find a place to live?

  • If you need a place to stay while looking for an apartment, you can try the Hilgard House Hotel.

  • Unfortunately, UCLA Campus Housing is not available to School of Dentistry residents, international postgraduate trainees or preceptors. For a small fee, you can use the UCLA Community Housing Office to assist you in locating an apartment. If you wish to purchase access to their database of housing listings under "Affiliates-Staff, Post-docs, Extension" click "purchase annual membership online".  You will need to upload a copy of your acceptance letter when registering.

  • Additionally, there are several online magazines that list apartment rentals on the Internet that are not affiliated with the university:

  • Apartments for Rent

  • Westside Rentals

  • Rentable

  • We recommend that you live within walking, biking, or busing distance from campus. The Big Blue Bus (City of Santa Monica) and the Culver City Bus runs frequently to UCLA. Residents qualify for the discounted tickets. You can find details online.

3. Am I eligible to receive financial aid, loan certification or scholarships?

  • Federal financial aid is not available to trainees enrolled in the Postgraduate/Residency Programs, Advanced Clinical Training Programs or Preceptor Programs.

  • Also, there are no scholarships available for these programs.

  • However, a resident may apply for a private loan on his/her own. A list of private loans may be found from the University of California Office of the President.

  • Starting Winter 2013, eligible ACT and Preceptor trainees may receive loan certification for private education loans from the UCLA Extension Financial Aid Office. This process must only start AFTER being admitted into UCLA. Non U.S. citizens or permanent residents will need a co-signer who is a U.S. citizen or permanent resident.

4. What is the difference between many of the Advanced Clinical Training Programs and Preceptorships?

The Advanced Clinical Training (ACT) Programs have patient treatment as an element of the program, with minimum enrollment of one year. After completion of the ACT Program, the trainee will receive a certificate that is signed by the dean of the School of Dentistry as well as by the individual program’s director. There will be a separate commencement ceremony held in the summer each year for graduates of the ACT Programs.

Preceptorships are observer programs. Individuals who successfully complete Preceptor Programs will receive a certificate of completion signed by their program director and by the Associate Dean for Clinical Dental Sciences.  Please note: this certificate does not grant continuing education credit.

5. Are Preceptorship Program Trainees allowed patient care experiences?

Preceptorship Programs are observational only.

6. Where do your international trainees come from?

The UCLA School of Dentistry is proud of its diverse population. Our international trainees can be residents of a country other than the U.S.; citizens of the U.S. and another country; or U.S. citizens/permanent residents. Our international trainees hail from a number of countries including but not limited to India, Saudi Arabia, South Korea, Azerbaijan, Japan, Mexico, Iran, Pakistan, Thailand, Libya, Myanmar, Ghana, Greece, the U.K, Taiwan, Canada, Norway, Brazil, the Philippines, Turkey and the USA.

7. After completion of an ACT or Preceptorship program am I eligible for OPT status?

After completion of at least three (3) quarters of an ACT or Preceptorship Program, trainees who are on F-1 student status may be eligible to apply for post completion Optional Practical Training (OPT) work authorization.

8. Is there such a thing as a typical day in the life of an international trainee?

There is no typical day for a trainee. The schedule varies depending on the program in which you are enrolled.

Enrollees in the following Advanced Clinical Training Programs or Preceptorships attend seminars and observe and assist in clinics (Please note that your degree of participation in the clinic depends on the policies of the specific program in which you are enrolled; please see the individual program pages for more details):

Enrollees in the Advanced Implantology Preceptorship will attend seminars and can sign up for clinic observation as available.

Enrollees in the Oral Biology Preceptorship will attend courses and participate in a research project.

9. Which programs will allow me to treat patients?

All Postgraduate Training Programs require participants to treat patients.

The following Advanced Clinical Training Programs allow patient care experiences after competency is shown:

10. What is your TOEFL School Code?

The TOEFL school code for the UCLA School of Dentistry is: 8354. 

11. How can I check on the status of my application?

To check on the status of your application to the Postgraduate Training Program, ACT Program or Preceptor Program, please send an email to postdds@dentistry.ucla.edu listing your full name and the program to which you are applying.

12. I would like to speak to the admissions officer in-person regarding applying to the program. How can I do this?

You can meet with an admissions officer in the Postgraduate Programs Office located in the School of Dentistry, CHS room 33-039. You may email in advance to set up an appointment postdds@dentistry.ucla.edu.