Program Information

1. How long is the Professional Program for International Dentists (PPID)?
The length of the program is 25 months.

2. How many applicants does the program admit?
We will admit 30 students for the upcoming application cycle, 2023-2024.

3. Does the UCLA School of Dentistry accept transfer students?
The UCLA School of Dentistry does not accept transfer students. All applicants must be in possession of their dental degree when applying to the program. Students who have not completed their dental degree will need to apply to the 4-year D.D.S. program.

4. How can I obtain a PPID brochure?
Currently, information is only available through our website, but the PPID coordinator is available to help answer any questions you may have that were not answered on the website.  The PPID Coordinator can be reached by email.

5. Do you offer guided tours of the dental school?
Guided tours are not available. 

6. Do you offer a preparatory course for the bench examination?
The course is no longer offered. To check if they have reinstated the course, please contact the Continuing Dental Education Office, by calling (310) 825-6238 or by email.

7. How can I make an appointment to meet with an admissions counselor?
You may schedule an appointment (zoom call or phone call) with the PPID Coordinator through email.

Read More

Application Process & Requirements

1.  May I submit documents prior to the beginning date?
The application cycle will begin March 9, 2023.  We will not accept any components of the application prior to the beginning date or after the deadline.

2. Can I apply with a provisional dental degree?
The PPID program does not accept provisional dental degrees nor offer any exceptions to the dental degree requirement.

3. Can I pay the application fee online?
Yes. The application fee is to be paid on-line at the School of Dentistry PPID website/Supplemental Application/Application Fees.  Checks or money orders will not be accepted. 

4. Can I submit the PPID Supplemental Application in person?

No. The supplemental application must be emailed to the PPID Coordinator at on or before June 30, 2023 at 11:59 p.m. PST.   

5. Will you accept the PPID supplemental application and curriculum vitae if they are in separate files?
No.  The completed PPID supplemental application and curriculum vitae must be in one combined pdf, no larger than 5 MB, to be accepted and reviewed by the PPID admissions committee.

6. I am having trouble combining the pdfs and/or reducing the size of the combined pdf to less than 5 MB, what should I do?
If you are having trouble combining the pdf or reducing the size of your combined pdf, please do an internet search for instructions on the process; our office does not provide technical support on these processes. 

7. I applied to the program last year (or a previous cycle) but I was not accepted. How can I re-apply?
Re-applicants must submit a CAAPID application, new PPID supplemental application and updated Curriculum Vitae, and all supplemental materials again.  No part of a previous year’s application can be used in a new application cycle.

8. How can I check on the status of my application?
To obtain the status of your application, e-mail the PPID Coordinator and include your name and CAAPID identification number.  Responses will be provided within 10 business days of your inquiry.

9. I submitted my supplemental documents and the tracking number shows it was delivered, why have my documents not arrived to the PPID Coordinator’s office?
When documents are delivered to UCLA campus, they are first delivered to the main mail center and then routed to the respective office, this process can add an additional 5 business days to the delivery date.

10. My name is different on multiple parts of my application.  Is there any proof I need to send regarding a name change?
Yes, if your name appears differently on any component of your application, please include a copy of government documentation (i.e. marriage license, formal name change approval documents, etc.) verifying the name change.

11. Can I update any documents prior to the deadline?
Yes, applicants can submit updated application documents (i.e. Official, sealed TOEFL scores and up to two additional letters of recommendation mailed directly to the Office of Student Services). Your updated curriculum vitae needs to be resubmitted with the supplemental application as a combined document and emailed to  UCLA will not consider any updated application documents received after the deadline.

12. Can I submit updated supplemental documents after the deadline?
No, all supplemental documents must be received on or before the application deadline – June 30, 2023. Documents received after the deadline will not be considered or reviewed by the PPID Admissions Committee.

13. Can I update my curriculum vitae/resume or submit additional letters of recommendation after the application deadline date?
No. We will not accept ANY updates after the deadline date.

Read More


1. Do you participate in CAAPID?
Yes. Applicants must complete a CAAPID application and the PPID Supplemental application form in order to be considered for admission. The PPID Supplemental application will be emailed to you upon completion of the CAAPID application.

2. Should I submit my CAAPID application before mailing my supplemental documents in a single envelope to the Office of Student Affairs?
We encourage you to complete your CAAPID application first, then forward the supplemental documents to the Office of Student Affairs as instructed on our School website. 

3. I have a questions regarding the CAAPID application, can you help me?
If you have problems with the CAAPID application, please contact CAAPID directly.

4. Can I apply directly to UCLA instead of CAAPID?
No. All applicants must complete both applications.

5. What happens to my CAAPID application and supplemental documents if my application status is considered incomplete after the deadline?
Incomplete applications will not be considered or reviewed by the PPID Admissions Committee. All delivered applications and documents will become property of UCLA and will not be returned. The $250 application fee is non-refundable and will not be returned.

Read More

Letters of Recommendation

1. Can I submit my letters of recommendation directly to the program instead of CAAPID?
No. Three letters of recommendation must be submitted directly to CAAPID. Applications with incomplete CAAPID documents will be considered incomplete. We will not accept the three letters of recommendation if they are mailed directly to the program.

2. Do you accept more than 3 letters of recommendation?
Yes. We will accept up to two additional letters of recommendation. They must be different than those that were submitted to CAAPID. The additional letters must be submitted directly to the Office of Student Affairs.  

3. I am unable to get a letter of recommendation from the Dean of my Dental School?
The letter of recommendation should be written by the Dean during your time of study.  If you are not able to acquire a letter of recommendation from the Dean, then we will accept a verification letter stating you were enrolled in the dental program and received your degree.  The letter of verification can be written by the current dean or Registrar's office.  If you are still unable to provide a letter of verification from your dental institution then we ask that you submit a statement to the School of Dentistry explaining why you were unable to submit a letter. Please note that you will still need to submit three letters of recommendation to CAAPID, in order for the letter requirement to be completed.

4. Can I send a notarized letter of recommendation?
No, all letters of recommendation need to be originals on letterhead, in English or English translation.

Read More

National Board Dental Examinations

1. What is the minimum NBDE Part 1 score to apply?
Numberic scores are no longer provided. NBDE score reports are recorded as Pass or Fail.

2. Do you require the NBDE Part 2 to apply?
Yes, Effective March 2018, applicant must pass NBDE Part 1 and Part 2 to apply. We will also accept a passing score on the INBDE. 

3. Can I submit my NBDE/INBDE score reports after the application deadline?
No. All score reports must be submitted by the application deadline date.

4. Can I mail my official, sealed NBDE score directly to the Office of Student Affairs?
Official hard copies of your NBDE report are no longer available. You must request your official NBDE score report online and submit to the UCLA School of Dentistry, PPID Coordinator at

6. Can I apply to the PPID program now and take the NBDE later?
No, you are required to submit all supplemental documents together.

Read More


1. Do I need to take the TOEFL exam if I completed a Master's program in the United States?
Yes. All applicants are required to take the TOEFL exam. The only exception is if you have graduated from a high school in the U.S., in that case an official high school transcript is needed.  

2. I am a United State Citizen (or Permanent Resident) do I still need to take the TOEFL exam?
Yes. All applicants are required to take the TOEFL exam. The only exception is if you have graduated from a high school in the U.S., in that case an official high school transcript is needed.  

3. Will my application be considered if my TOEFL internet-based test (iBT) total score is greater than 87, but I did not meet the minimum requirement in one or more of the subject sections?
Applicants must meet the minimum requirements in each subject section OR have a combined total TOEFL score of 95 or higher; otherwise, the application will be considered incomplete. 

4. Can I provide a TOEFL score report printed from the internet?
No, TOEFL scores printed from the internet will not be accepted.

5. Can I apply to the PPID program now and take the TOEFL later?
No, you are required to submit all supplemental documents together.

Read More

ECE Course by Course Report

1. Do you require original transcripts from my dental school?
No, we only require the ECE course-by-course report to be sent directly to CAAPID.

2. I submitted my ECE course by course report to CAAPID.  Do I need to send an ECE course by course report directly to the Office of Student Affairs?
No. We will access your ECE course by course report directly from CAAPID. 

3. Do you accept WES transcript reports?

Read More

Tuition and Financial Aid

1. Is there a price difference in tuition for residents and non-residents?
No. The 2-year PPID program is a self-supporting program, as a result, there is no difference in tuition for California residents and non-residents.

2. Are there any scholarships available for the PPID program?
There are no scholarships available for the PPID program. However, if you are a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, you are eligible to apply for financial aid.

3. What type of aid is available for foreign students?
Students who are neither U.S. citizens nor permanent residents do not qualify for financial aid. They must, therefore, secure a private loan to cover the cost of the program. Please note that most U.S. bank lenders require that foreign students have a U.S. citizen or permanent resident as a co-signer for a loan.

Read More

Student VISA

1. Does my visa status have any bearing on the application process?
The PPID admissions committee does not take visa status into consideration during the application process.

2. As an international student, will I be required to submit a proof of financial ability, Certification of Finances (COF) form, to request a student visa?
Yes, all accepted, incoming students on a F-1 visa will be required to submit a COF form to show available funds to cover the first year costs (tuition, dental kit, books, fees and living expenses) of the program.

Read More