Fariba S. Younai, D.D.S.
- (310) 794-1093
UCLA School of Dentistry
10833 Le Conte Ave.
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1668
Dr. Fariba Younai is a Professor of Clinical Dentistry in the Section of Oral Medicine and Orofacial Pain in the Division of Oral Biology and Medicine. In 1997 she joined the faculty of UCLA School of Dentistry, where she currently serves as the Vice Chair of the Division of Oral Biology & Medicine and Section Chair of Orofacial Pain & Oral Medicine.
Dr. Younai obtained her dental degree from the School of Dental Medicine at State University of New York at Stony Brook in 1985. After completing her training in Hospital Dentistry at Long Island Jewish Medical Center in New York, she joined the faculty of New York University (NYU) College of Dentistry in the Division of Basic Sciences. There, she was appointed as an Assistant Professor (1990-1996) and then an Associate Professor of Basic Sciences (1996-1997) and served as the Director of Hospital Dentistry, Special Patient Care and Oral Medicine form 1990 to 1997.
Dr. Younai’s teaching portfolio includes courses that focus on the interplay between systemic diseases and oral health, oral diseases and their pharmacological management, and patient assessment. She chairs and teaches in a number of courses in the predoctoral curriculum in the Oral and Systemic Diseases Track. She is the Director of the Patient Assessment Clinic and the Orofacial Pain and the Oral Medicine Faculty Practice.
- Younai FS. Current Trends in the Incidence and Presentation of Oropharyngeal Cancer. California Dental Association Journal February 2016;22(4):93-100.
- Messadi DV, Younai FS, Liu H, Guo G, Wang CY. The Clinical Effectiveness of Reflectance Optical Spectroscopy for the In Vivo Diagnosis of Oral Lesions. International Journal of Oral Sciences. 2014 Sep;6(3):162-7. doi: 10.1038/ijos.2014.39. Epub 2014 Jul 25.
- Younai FS. Thirty years of the human immunodeficiency virus epidemic and beyond. International Journal of Oral Sciences. 2013 Dec;5(4):191-9. doi: 10.1038/ijos.2013.76. Epub 2013 Oct 18.
- Sears B, Younai FS, Donohoe T. HIV Discrimination in Dental Care: Results of a Discrimination Testing Study in Los Angeles County. Loyola of Los Angeles Law Review, April 2012; 45(3): 101-154.
- Umadevi KR, Blignaut E, Glick M, Nasir E, Yengopal V, Younai F, Robinson PG. Social Aspects of HIV and Their Relationship to Craniofacial Problems. International & American Associations for Dental Research. Advances in Dental Research 2011; 23(1):117-121.
- Younai FS. Healthcare Associated Transmission of Hepatitis B & C Viruses. Clinics in Liver Disease. 2010;14(1): 93-104.
- Chiappelli F, Shapshak P, Younai FS, McCoy C, Page B, Prolo P. Cellular Immunopathology in Alcohol/Cocaine Co-Abusing HIV-1 Seropositive African American Women; Preliminary Comparison of Miami and Los Angeles Cohorts. Frontiers in Biosciences 2006;11:2434-41.
- Systems 1, Cardiovascular, Respiratory & Renal Systems (OSD102). Co-Chair and Lecturer
- Systems 2 (OSD105), Gastrointestinal& Endocrine Systems. Lecturer
- Systems 5 (OSD107), Hematopoietic & Immune Systems. Lecturer
- Oral & Systemic Diseases 1 (OSD201), Chair and Faculty
- Oral and Systemic Diseases 2, (OSD202). Lecturer.
- Oral and Systemic Diseases 3, (OSD203). Lecturer.
- Oral Medicine - Therapeutics (OSD3030). Chair & Lecturer
- Dental Issues and Systemic Diseases (AS119). Chair & Lecturer
- Clinical Evaluation II (AS108). Chair & Lecturer
- Patient Management I (CL401.11). Lecturer.
- Patient Management III (CL403.11). Lecturer.
- Physical Diagnosis clinical block (CL403.27). Chair
- D.D.S., State University of New York at Stony Brook, 1985
- Hospital Dentistry Certificate, Long Island Jewish Medical Center, 1986
- Geriatric Dentistry Certificate, David Geffen UCLA School of Medicine, 2005
Dr. Younai's research interests are focused on oral health issues in HIV infection. She currently is the Primary Investigator of two larger contracts awarded by the LA County Division of HIV and STD Programs focusing on the provision of oral health care to HIV positive patients. Some of her previous collaborations have included projects such as: Health Costs and Services Utilization Study HCSUS, Oral Health/Care Disparities in HIV Minority Populations, Intraoral Effects of Methamphetamine Use, Oral Health and Local Immune Status of HIV Positive African American Women, Role of Oral environment in HIV Transmission, and Oral Health Delivery to Women, Adolescents and Children at Risk for HIV Infection. Dr. Younai is a faculty of the American Academy of HIV Medicine and has developed the oral health curriculum for physicians specializing in HIV Medicine. As a faculty of the Pacific AIDS Education and Training Centers, she is actively involved in developing and conducting clinical training programs for community HIV/AIDS care providers. Since 2002, she has been a Commissioner for the Los Angeles County Commission on HIV and has co-chaired the Commission’s Standards of Care Committee. In that capacity she has played an active role in the development of the County’s Continuum of HIV Care and the Treatment and Prevention Standards for the Ryan White-funded providers of the core medical and supportive services in Los Angeles.
Dr. Younai has contributed to the development of several dental treatment guidelines for HIV positive patients including the guidelines developed by the American Dental Association, the New York State AIDS Institute and the Pacific/Western States. Dr. Younai is a recipient of a number of awards including the 1997 NYU Harry Strusser Memorial Award, the 2009 UCLA Academic Senate Distinguished Teaching Award, the 2013 Recognition Awrds from the LA County Mental Health Task Force and the Pacific AIDS Education and Training Center, as well as several Student Teaching awards.
Patient Care Activities
Dr. Younai has an Oral Medicine Practice in the UCLA Orofacial Pain and Oral Medicine Faculty Practice. In her practice, she provides comprehensive evaluation and management of a wide range of oral soft tissue diseases such as mucocutaneous and immunologic disorders, premalignant conditions and salivary gland diseases.
- International/American Association for Dental Research
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- American Academy of Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology
- American Academy of Oral Medicine
- American Academy of HIV Medicine
- American Dental Education Association
- New York Academy of Sciences and the Epocrates
- British Medical Journal Group Author Program