Shane N. White, B.DENT.SC., M.A., M.S., Ph.D.
- (310) 206-3644
UCLA School of Dentistry
10833 Le Conte Ave.
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1668
Shane N. White, B.Dent.Sc., M.A., M.S., Ph.D., is a Professor in the Section of Endodontics in the Constitutive & Regenerative Sciences. Dr White has specialty training in both prosthodontics and endodontics. His research focuses on dental biological materials, primarily on tooth enamel itself -- a remarkable bioceramic. His creative activities broadly span basic science, clinical outcomes and teaching approaches. He has served as Chair of the Section of Endodontics. Currently, he serves as a member of the Executive Board of the UCLA Faculty Senate. He is the incoming chair of the UC system-wide University Committee on Faculty Welfare. He is also a faculty member of the UCLA Center for Esthetic Dentistry and of the Center for Craniofacial and Molecular Biology at the USC School of Dentistry. Dr. White's professional background includes several year spent in private dental practice and in part-time teaching in Dublin, Ireland.
Dr. White chairs a variety of endodontic courses for D.D.S. students and endodontic residents. He also contributes to many other courses in such areas as esthetic dentistry, oral biology, biomaterials as well as to continuing education courses. He has mentored many award-winning student researchers. In addition, he has given approximately 300 invited scholarly lectures around the world.
Dr. White supervises patient care provided by D.D.S. students and endodontic residency students in both Westwood and Venice.
Editorial & Review Activities
Dr. White serves more than 30 journals and scientific organizations.
B.A., Trinity College, Dublin University, 1985
B.Dent.Sc., Trinity College, Dublin University, 1985
M.A. ,Trinity College, Dublin University, 1990
Certificate in Postdoctoral Prosthodontics, UCLA, 1990
M.S. in Oral Biology, UCLA, 1990
Certificate in Postdoctoral Endodontics, UCLA, 1999
Ph.D. in Craniofacial Biology, University of Southern California, 1999
Dr. White's current research interests include dental biomaterials and genetic-structural relationships in enamel and dentin. He has won several major awards for his research. He has held several National Institutes of Health (NIH/NIDCR) grants as principal investigator. Dr. White has authored approximately 100 research papers and many more abstracts.
- Academy of Dental Materials
- Academy of Prosthodontics (Fellow)
- American Association of Endodontists
- American Ceramic Society
- American College of Prosthodontists
- American Prosthodontic Society
- Dental Materials Group/Group Chapter IADR
- International Association of Dental Research
- Mineralized Tissue Group/Chapter IADR
- OKU Dental Honor Society
- Pacific Coast Society of Prosthodontists (Fellow)
- Pierre Fauchard Academy
- Prosthodontic Group/Chapter IADR
- Pulp Biology Group/Chapter IADR
- 2000 Fellowship, Pacific Coast Society for Prosthodontics
- 1998 Elected to the Pierre Fauchard Academy
- 1995 Fellow, Academy of Prosthodontics
- 1994 Elected to OKU Dental Honor Society
- 1994 Zumberge Research Fellowship, University of Southern California
- 1993 Charles L. Pincus Research Award, AAED
- 1990 Stanley D. Tylman Research Prize, AAFP
- 1990 IADR, Prosthodontic Group New Investigator Prize
- 1988 The American Dental Society of Europe, Postgraduate Scholarship
- 1985 Trinity College, Dublin University, II Honors in Adult Dental Health
- 1984 Georgetown University, International Exchange Program