Flavia Queiroz Pirih, D.D.S., Ph.D.
- (310) 825-6486
UCLA School of Dentistry
10833 Le Conte Ave.
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1668
Dr. Flavia Q. Pirih is an Associate Professor and Chair of Periodontics; holds the Tarrson Family Endowed Chair in Periodontics, and has an appointment in Oral Biology.
Dr. Pirih received her DDS degree from the Universidade Federal do Parana in Brazil, and went onto obtain a PhD in Oral Biology at UCLA. Following her doctorate, she received a master’s degree and a residency certiﬁcate in Periodontics from the University of Michigan. She also experienced further research training as a post-doctoral fellow at the University of Michigan. In 2009, Dr. Pirih became a Diplomate of the American Board of Periodontology. She teaches at the pre- and post-graduate levels. Dr. Pirih was the Director of the Pre-doctoral Program in the Section of Periodontics for ten-years.
Dr. Pirih sees patients in the UCLA Periodontics and Implant Surgery Faculty Practice. She provides comprehensive periodontal and surgical implant services.
- Peri-implant health, peri-implant mucositis, and peri-implantitis: Case definitions and diagnostic considerations. Renvert S, Persson GR, Pirih FQ, Camargo PM. J Periodontol. 2018 Jun;89 Suppl 1:S304-S312. doi: 10.1002/JPER.17-0588. Review. PMID: 29926953
- Genomewide Association Study Identifies Cxcl Family Members as Partial Mediators of LPS-Induced Periodontitis. Hiyari S, Green E, Pan C, Lari S, Davar M, Davis R, Camargo PM, Tetradis S, Lusis AJ, Pirih FQ. J Bone Miner Res. 2018 Aug;33(8):1450-1463. doi: 10.1002/jbmr.3440. Epub 2018 May 22. PMID: 29637625
- Early intervention of peri-implantitis and periodontitis using a mouse model. Wong RL, Hiyari S, Yaghsezian A, Davar M, Casarin M, Lin YL, Tetradis S, Camargo PM, Pirih FQ. J Periodontol. 2018 Jun;89(6):669-679. doi: 10.1002/JPER.17-0541. PMID: 29520950
- Susceptibility of different mouse strains to peri-implantitis. Hiyari S, Naghibi A, Wong R, Sadreshkevary R, Yi-Ling L, Tetradis S, Camargo PM, Pirih FQ. J Periodontal Res. 2018 Feb;53(1):107-116. doi: 10.1111/jre.12493. Epub 2017 Oct 17. PMID: 29044525
- Heritability of periodontal bone loss in mice. Hiyari S, Atti E, Camargo PM, Eskin E, Lusis AJ, Tetradis S, Pirih FQ. J Periodontal Res. 2015 Dec;50(6):730-6. doi: 10.1111/jre.12258. Epub 2015 Jan 12. PMID: 25581386
DDS, Universidade Federal do Parana, Brazil, 1999
PhD, Oral Biology, UCLA, 2006
certificate and MS in Periodontics, University of Michigan, 2009
Postdoctoral fellowship with Dr. Laurie K. McCauley, University of Michigan School of Dentistry, 2006-2009
Dr. Pirih's laboratory focuses on understanding the basic and clinical aspects of periodontitis and peri-implantitis, with the ultimate goal of developing new strategies to prevent and treat both conditions. The lab conducts translational research that examines the role of genetics in patients' susceptibility to periodontitis and studies peri-implantitis.
- Diplomate, American Board of Periodontology
- American Academy of Periodontology
- American Society for Bone and Mineral Research
- International Association for Dental Research
- American Dental Association
- California Dental Association
- California Society of Periodontology
- Western Society of Periodontology
- 2020 Fellow of the International College of Dentists
- 2020 Fellow of the American College of Dentists
- 2019 Omicron Kappa Upsilon National Dental Honor Society Membership, president of the Epsilon Zeta Chapter at the UCLA School of Dentistry
- 2018 Outstanding Teaching and Mentoring in Periodontics Award, presented by the American Academy of Periodontology
- 2016 The National Dental Association Foundation (NDAF) and Colgate Palmolive Faculty Recognition Award-Research category 2016 -Academy of Excellent Educators Award, presented by the UCLA School of Dentistry
- 2014 - Outstanding Teaching and Mentoring in Periodontics Award, presented by the American Academy of Periodontology
- 2014 - Omicron Kappa Upsilon - National Dental Honor Society Membership elected by the Epsilon Zeta Chapter at the UCLA School of Dentistry
- 2013 - The Bud and Linda Tarrson Fellowship, American Academy of Periodontology Foundation
- 2009 - Young Investigator Award, American Society from Bone and Mineral Research
- 2009 - First place in the Graduate Student Forum, Midwest Society of Periodontology
- 2008 - FASEB-MARC travel award to attend the American Society for Bone and Mineral Research Meeting, Montreal, Canada
- 2007-08 - Postdoctoral Fellow Position at the University of Michigan Regenerative Sciences Training Program, NIH Institutional Training Grant T90 DK070071-03
- 2007 - AAP Educator Scholarship, American Academy of Periodontology Foundation
- 2006-08 - Rackham Merit Fellowship, The University of Michigan School of Dentistry
- 2004-06 - Postdoctoral Fellow Position at the UCLA Fundamental Clinical Research Training Grant, NIH/NIDCR Institutional Training Grant T32 DE007296