Takahiro Ogawa, D.D.S., Ph.D.
- (310) 825-0727
UCLA School of Dentistry
10833 Le Conte Ave.
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1668
Dr. Takahiro Ogawa is widely recognized as an expert in designing and creating novel titanium and zirconia surfaces, implant biologic research, and photoenergy-mediated activation of implant materials, known as UV-activation. Dr. Ogawa is a Professor in the Division of Advanced Prosthodontics and Weintraub Center for Reconstructive Biotechnology at UCLA School of Dentistry and a leader of Team Surface. He has published more than 190 papers in peer-reviewed scientific journals with a total impact factor of over 600, total citations of over 8000, and h-index 53. He spoke over 150 times in the invited lectures and symposia worldwide. Dr Ogawa and his team received over 40 scientific awards from the national and international meetings and societies. Dr Ogawa is a recipient of IADR/AADR William J. Gies Award, American College of Prosthodontists (ACP) Clinician/Researcher Award, International Congress of Oral Implantologists (ICOI) Ralph V. McKinney, Jr Award, and Academy of Osseointegration (AO) William R. Laney Award, and IADR Distinguished Scientist Award. He is a former president of IADR Prosthodontic Group.
- Course Co-Chair RFE303 Removable Partial Denture I
- Course Co-Chair RFE305 Removable Partial Denture II
- Course Co-Chair RFE306 Immediate Denture
- Removable Consults Instructor
- Removable Clinic Instructor
- Lectures in Advance Implant Dentistry
- Journal club facilitator in Graduate Prosthodontic Program
Patient Care Activities
- UCLA Maxillofacial Prosthetics Clinic
- D.D.S., Kyushu University, School of Dentistry, 1990
- Ph.D., Kyushu University Graduate School, Division of Dental Science, 1994
- Postdoc., Jane & Jerry Weintraub Center for Reconstructive Biotechnology, UCLA School of Dentistry, 2001
- Maxillofacial Prosthetics Specialty, UCLA Maxillofacial Prosthetics Internship Program, 2004
Dr. Ogawa has been dedicated in a wide range of research in biomaterial science and bone biology, including the genetic characterization at bone-titanium interface, titanium implant surface science and technology, nano-designing of biomaterials, detoxification and activation of oxidant-generating materials, and an exploration of osteogenic enhancing molecules. Particularly, his recent discoveries of photofunctionalization of implants leading to a new level of peri-implant osteogenesis defined as super-osseointegration as well as the biological aging of titanium are expected to have significant scientific and therapeutic impacts on dental and orthopedic implant fields of tomorrow. To read more about the Ogawa lab.
- American College of Prosthodontists (Research Committee)
- Academy of Osseointegration
- Academy of Advanced Applied Sciences in Oral Medicine (AAASOM) (Founder and President)
- International Association for Dental Research (IADR) (Immediate Past President, Prosthodontic Group)
- International College of Prosthodontics
- Japan Prosthodontic Society
- Japanese Society for Temporomandibular Joint (board certified doctor in temporomandibular join disorders)
- Japanese Society of Oral Implantology
- IADR Distinguished Scientist Award in Prosthodontics and Implants
- IADR William J. Gies Award
- Academy of Osseointegration William R. Laney Award
- American College of Prosthodontics Clinician/Researcher Award
- ICOI (International Congress of Oral Implantologists) Ralph V. McKinney, Jr Award