Reuben Kim, D.D.S., Ph.D.
- (310) 825-7312
UCLA School of Dentistry
10833 Le Conte Ave.
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1668
Reuben Kim is a Professor and Chair of the Section of Restorative Dentistry and the Director for Collaborative Research Programs in the Division of Constitutive & Regenerative Sciences. Dr. Kim also holds a dual appointment with the Section of Oral Biology. Dr. Kim is currently the Course Chair for the 6-quarter long Direct Restoration courses for both first and second year dental students and an active practitioner in the UCLA Faculty Group Dental Practice as a restorative dentist.
- Kim S, Williams D, Lee C, Kim T, Arai A, Shi S, Li X, Shin KH, Kang MK, Park NH, and Kim RH*. IL-36 induces bisphosphonate-related osteonecrosis of the jaw-like lesions in mice by inhibiting TGF-?-mediated collagen expression. Journal of Bone and Mineral Research (In Press).
- Lee SH, Park Y, Song MJ, Srikanth S, Kim S, Kang MK, Gwack YS, Park N-H, Kim RH*, and Shin K-H. Orai1 mediates osteogenic differentiation in bone marrow stem cells via the BMP signaling pathway. Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, 473(4): 1309-1314, 2016 (PMCID4853278)
- Kim RH*, Yang P, and EC Sung. Managing intraoral lesions in oral cancer patients in general dental practice: An overview. California Dental Association Journal, 44(2): 85-92. (PMC in progress)
- Perez RE, Shen H, Duan L, Kim RH, Kim T, Park NH, and Maki CG. Modeling the etiology of p53-mutated cancer cells. Journal of Biological Chemistry, 291 (19): 10131-10147, 2016. (PMC4858965)
- Sohn SJ, Park YT, Srikanth S, Arai A, Yu B, Shin K-H, Kang MK, Wang CY, Gwack YS, park N-H, Kim RH*. The role of ORAI1 in odontogenic differentiation of human dental pulp cells. Journal of Dental Research, 94(11): 1560-1567, 2015. (PMC4622325).
- Kim RH*, Kang, M, Kim, T, Yang P, Bae S, Williams DW, Phung S, Shin K-H, Hong CH, and Park N-H. Regulation of p53 during replicative senescence in normal human keratinocytes. Aging Cell, 14(5): 838-846, 2015 (PMCID4568971)
- Williams DW, Lee C, Kim T, Yagita H, Wu H, Park S, Yang P, Liu H, Shi S, Shin K-H, Kang MK, Park N-H, and Kim RH*. Impaired bone resorption and woven bone formation are associated with development of osteonecrosis of the jaw-like lesions by bisphosphonate and anti-RANKL antibody in mice. American Journal of Pathology, 184: 3084-3093, 2014.(PMC4215026)
- Bae S, Sun S, Aghaloo T, McKenna CE, Ju-Eun Oh, Shin K-H, Kang MK, Park N-H, Tetradis S, Kim RH*. Development of oral osteomucosal tissue constructs and localization of fluorescence-labeled bisphosphonates in hard and soft tissue. International Journal of Molecular Medicine, 34:559-563, 2014. (PMC4094592)
- Williams DW, Wu HK, Fakhar C, Oh JE, Kang MK, Shin K-H, Park N-H, Kim RH*. HEMA inhibits migration of dental pulp mesenchymal stem cells Journal of Endodontics, 39:1156-1160, 2013. (PMC3771400)
- Conservative Direct Restorations, Course Chair (RFE103, RFE104, RFE200, RFE 202, RFE207, and RFE211)
- Growth and Development, Lecturer (GDA401)
- Endodontic Research for Resident, Lecturer (DS320.44s)
- Oral Biology Seminar, Lecturer (OB212)
- System-Based Healthcare, Instructor (SBH1415)
- Skill Course I, Course Chair (Advanced Clinical Training Program)
- Dr. Kim currently practices general dentistry at the UCLA Faculty Dental Group Practice.
- D.D.S., University of California, Los Angeles, CA, 2003
- Ph.D., University of California, Los Angeles, CA, 2008
Dr. Kim's research interests lies in; 1) the role of osteomucosal healing in ONJ development by bisphosphonate and denosumab, 2) the role of epigenetics in aging and HPV-associated oral carcinogenesis, and 3) mechanisms of pulp regeneration in the context of reparative dentin formation. Based on clinical experiences and observations, our laboratory developed animal models that recapitulate multiple disease entities, including ONJ lesions, oral cancer development, and direct pulp capping, to examine the underlying pathophysiology at the preclinical level. Our lab also utilizes in vitro cell culture system and various biochemical techniques to elucidate the fundamental mechanisms at the molecular level.
NIH/NIDCR (R01), 03/07 - 08/12; Kang, Mo (PI), Kim, Reuben (Investigator)
- Effects of Antiretroviral Therapy on Telomerase Function in Human Oral Epithelium Ð
NIH/NIDCR (K08), 08/07 - 08/12; Kim, Reuben (PI)
- Combined Effect of HIV and HPV in Oral Cancer Ð
NIH/NIDCR (R03), 07/10 - 06/13;Kim, Reuben (PI)
- The role of Oral Mucosa in Bisphosphonate-related Osteonecrosis of the Jaw (BRONJ)
Cancer Research Coordinating Committee (CRCC), 07/11 - 06/12; Kim, Reuben (PI)
- Regulation of p53 in aging and cancer
Academic Senate Faculty Research Grant, 08/11 - 06/12; Kim, Reuben (PI)
- In vitro and In Vivo Evaluation of Odontogenic Compounds as Dental Pulp Capping Materials.
NIH/NIDCR (R01), 09/13 05/18; Kim, Reuben (PI)
- Molecular Mechanisms of Drug-induced ONJ and Osteomucosal Chronic Wounds
NIH/NIDCR (R01), 09/13 08/18; Wang, CY (Contact PI), Kim, Reuben (Multiple-PI)
- Epigenetic Control of HPV-associated Oral Carcinogenesis
American Association of Endodontists, 04/14 - 05/18; Kim, Reuben (PI)
- The Role of Periapical Endodontic Lesions in Osteonecrosis of the Jaw in Mice
NIH/NIDCR (F30), 02/15 - 01/21; Williams, Drake (PI), Kim, Reuben (Mentor)
- The Role of Pro-inflammatory Cytokines in Drug-induced Osteonecrosis of the Jaw
- American Association for Cancer Research (AACR)
- International Association for Dental Research (IADR)
- American Association for Dental Research (AADR)
- American Society for Bone and Mineral Research (ASBMR)
- Jonsson Comprehensive Cancer Center (JCCC)