Shen Steve Hu, Ph.D., M.B.A
- (310) 206-8834
UCLA School of Dentistry
10833 Le Conte Ave.
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1668
Dr. Hu is a Professor and the MS Program Advisor in the Division of Oral and Systemic Health Sciences at the UCLA School of Dentistry. He has managed the Oral Biology MS program since 2011. Dr. Hu is also a member of the UCLA Jonsson Comprehensive Cancer Center (JCCC) and currently serving as an editorial board member for multiple international journals. He recently edited the Cancer metabolomics: Methods and Applications for Springer Advances in Experimental Medicine and Biology book series.
- Shen Hu (Editor). Cancer Metabolomics: Methods and Applications. Springer, New York, 2020
- Li Cui, Xiang Wang, Bingbing Sun, Tian Xia, Shen Hu. Predictive metabolomic signatures for safety assessment of metal oxide nanoparticles. ACS Nano. 2019;13(11):13065–13082.
- Junwei Huang, Eoon Hye Ji, Xinyuan Zhao, Li Cui, Kaori Misuno, Mian Guo, Zhigang Huang, Xiaohong Chen, Shen Hu. Sox11 promotes head and neck cancer progression via the regulation of SDCCAG8. J Exp Clin Cancer Res. 2019;38(1):138.
- Li Cui, Juan Liu, Xinmin Yan, Shen Hu. Identification of metabolite biomarkers for gout using capillary ion chromatography with mass spectrometry. Analytical Chemistry 2017;89(21):11737–11743.
- Shen Hu, Junhua Wang, Eoon Hye Ji, Terri Christison, Linda Lopez, Yingying Huang. Targeted metabolomic analysis of head and neck cancer cells using high performance ion chromatography coupled with a Q Exactive HF mass spectrometer. Analytical Chemistry 2015;87(12):6371–6379.
- Junhua Wang, Terri T. Christison, Kaori Misuno, Linda Lopez, Andreas F. Huhmer, Yingying Huang, Shen Hu. Metabolomic profiling of anionic metabolites in head and neck cancer cells by capillary ion chromatography with Orbitrap mass spectrometry. Analytical Chemistry 2014;86(10):5116–5124.
- OB201C, Advanced Oral Biology: Pathobiology (Course Chair)
- OB275, Molecular and Cell Biology (Course Chair)
- OB212, Proseminar: Oral Biology Research (Guest Lecturer)
- OB202, Salivary Diagnostics: Salivaomics, Saliva-Exosomics, Saliva Liquid Biopsy (Guest Lecturer)
- OB208, Genomics and Proteomics in Oral Biology Research (Course Chair)
- Ph.D., Wuhan University, 1996
- Research Fellow, City University of Hong Kong, 1997
- Postdoctoral Fellow, University of Alberta, 2000
- M.B.A, UCLA Anderson School of Management, 2016
Metabolomics is the systems level study of metabolites within cells, biofluids, tissues or organisms, and related metabolic pathways/mechanisms. Collectively, these metabolites and their interactions within a biological system are known as the metabolome. We are using novel metabolomics technology, as well as proteomics and genomics approaches, to study the metabolic reprogramming in cancer invasion and metastasis, identify metabolic targets for anti-cancer therapeutics, investigate the metabolic toxicity of nanomaterials, and discover metabolite biomarkers for clinical applications in cancer and oral diseases.