Nadia Chugal, D.D.S., M.S., M.P.H.
- (310) 794-4989
UCLA School of Dentistry
10833 Le Conte Ave.
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1668
Dr. Nadia Chugal, D.D.S., M.S., M.P.H., is the Program Director for the Postdoctoral Residency Program in Endodontics and Clinical Professor at the UCLA School of Dentistry. She joined the Dental School as the faculty in 1997. Dr. Chugal is known for her expertise in program administration, innovation and excellence in education, leadership and professionalism. She has held leadership positions in local, national and international professional organizations. Dr. Chugal is the past president of the Southern California Academy of Endodontics, (SCAE) and has been Secretary and Treasurer for the Pulp Biology Group (PBRG) of the International Association for Dental Research (IADR) since 2005.
- Chugal, N., J.M. Clive, and L.S.W. Spångberg. A prognostic model for assessment of the outcome of endodontic treatment: Effect of biologic and diagnostic variables. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 2001; 91: 342-352.
- Chugal, N., J.M. Clive, and L.S.W. Spångberg. Endodontic infection: Some biologic and treatment factors associated with outcome. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 2003; 96:81-90.
- Chugal, N., J.M. Clive, and L.S.W. Spångberg. 2007. Endodontic Treatment Outcome: Effect of the Permanent Restoration. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 104: 576-82.
- Kreth, J.,D. Kim, M. Nguyen, G. Hsiao, R. Mito, M.K. Kang, N. Chugal, and W. Shi. The antimicrobial effect of silver ion impregnation into endodontic sealer against Streptococcus mutans. The Open Dentistry Journal 2008; 2:18-23.
- Chugal N, Wang J-K, Wang R, He X, Kang M, Li J, Zhou X, Shi W, Lux R. Molecular characterization of the microbial flora residing at the apical portion of infected root canals of human teeth. J Endod 2011; 37: 1359-64.
- CL 320.01, Endodontic Clinic (Postgraduate)
- CL 320.32, Endodontic Teaching (Postgraduate)
- CL 403.01, Endodontic Clinic – 3rd Year
- CL 404.01, Endodontic Clinic – 4th Year
- OSD201, Block 3, Oral Diseases 1– 2nd Year
- RFE 205 (DS 462a), Introduction to Endodontics – 2nd Year
- RFE 209 (DS 462b), Preclinical Endodontic Laboratory – 2nd Year
- RFE 214 (DS 462c), Introduction to Clinical Endodontics – 2nd Year
- RFE302 (CL 463s), Clinical Endodontics – 3rd Year
- RFE 304 (DS 413a), Advanced Clinical Endodontics – 3rd Year
- DS 320.11, Biological Basis for Periradicular Therapy (Postgraduate)
- DS 320.21, Endodontic Treatment Planning (Postgraduate)
- DS 320.41, Current Endodontic Literature Seminars (Postgraduate)
- DS 320.44, Endodontic Research (Postgraduate)
- 1979 B.A., University of California Los Angeles (UCLA)
- 1984 M.P.H./M.A., UCLA School of Public Health
- 1988 D.D.S., UCLA School of Dentistry
- 1990 M.S., Oral Biology, UCLA School of Dentistry
- 1991 Certificate, General Practice Residency, IMMC, Chicago, IL , 1991
- 1994 Certificate, Endodontics, University of Connecticut, Farmington
- 1996 Postdoctoral Fellowship in Dental Research. University of Connecticut, Farmington and Veterans
- Administration, Office of Academic Affairs, Washington D.C.
- 1999 Diplomate of the American Board of Endodontics
The main focus of Dr. Chugal’s research is endodontic prognosis, primarily the understanding of the relationship between root canal infections and outcome of endodontic treatment. Additionally, she is studying new imaging technologies for endodontic diagnosis and treatment planning with the purpose of developing more effective therapies and improved endodontic prognosis. Her current research also involves the study of educational outcomes related to the postdoctoral program training.
- American Dental Association
- California Dental Associations
- Western Los Angeles Dental Society
- American Association of Endodontists
- California State Association of Endodontists
- American Association of Dental Research (Pulp Biology Group)
- International Association of Dental Research (Pulp Biology Group)
- American Dental Education Association (ADEA)
- Council of Hospitals and Advanced Education Programs (COHAEP).
- Southern California Academy of Endodontics (SCAE)
- Fellowship in Dental Research, University of Connecticut, Farmington
- Diplomate of the American Board of Endodontics Best Paper Award, the Samuel Seltzer prize for Endodontology, OOOOE (2004)
- American Association of Endodontists, Research and Scientific Affairs Committee, Member
- Best Paper Award, THE Samuel Seltzer Prize for Endodontology: OOOOE (2007)
- Scientific Advisory Board of the Journal of Endodontics, Member
- American Association of Endodontists, Evidence Based Endodontics Committee. Educational grant recipient for ADA/Forsyth Course on Evidence-Based Dentistry
- Commission on Dental Accreditation (CODA), Consultant & Site Visitor
- Joint Commission on National Dental Examinations (JCNDE), National Board Endodontics Test Construction Committee, Member