Nini Tran, D.D.S., Ph.D.
- (310) 825-8578
UCLA School of Dentistry
10833 Le Conte Ave.
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1668
Dr. Nini Chaichanasakul Tran is an Assistant Professor in the Section of Pediatric Dentistry. Dr. Tran received her DDS degree and went onto obtain a PhD degree in Oral Biology from UCLA School of Dentistry. She received her residency certificate in Pediatric Dentistry at UCLA School of Dentistry. Dr. Tran is a Diplomat of the American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry and truly an advocate for children.
As a dual-trained academic pediatric dentist, her goal is to provide comprehensive oral care for her pediatric patients from the best available scientific evidence and to educate future generation of dentists and scientists by connecting translational sciences and clinical practice. Dr. Tran provides dental education at both predoctoral and postdoctoral levels.
- GDA103, Growth, Development and Aging: The Science of the Face and Tooth, Course Chair
- IDS301, Interdisciplinary Systems – Pediatric Diagnosis and Treatment Plan, Course Chair
- AS111, Pediatric Review Course for Professional Program for International Dentists, Course Chair
- Behavioral Pediatric Dentistry Rotation, Course Chair
- Comprehensive Pediatric Dentistry Rotation, Course Chair
- Clinical instructor – Pediatric Dental Residency
- BS, Biology, UCLA, 2004
- DDS, UCLA School of Dentistry, 2009
- PhD, Oral Biology, UCLA School of Dentistry, 2012
- Certificate in Pediatric Dentistry, UCLA School of Dentistry, 2014
Dr. Tran’s research focuses on diagnostics and therapeutics of early childhood caries (ECC) related to microbiome and host susceptibility. She conducts basic and translational research examining the role of Streptococcus mutans and the oral microbial communities in children’s susceptibility to ECC.
- Diplomate, American Board of Pediatric Dentistry (ABPD)
- American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry (AAPD)
- California Society of Pediatric Dentistry (CSPD)
- International Association for Dental Research (IADR)
- American Association of Dental Research (AADR)
- 2018 – 2024 K08 Mentored Clinical Scientist Research Career Development Award, NIDCR/NIH
- 2007 – 2011 Ruth L. Kirsten National Service Award (NRSA) Institutional Research Training Grant, UCLA Fundamental Clinical Research Training Grant T32 DE007296
- 2009 – Omicron Kappa Upsilon - National Dental Honor Society Membership elected by the Epsilon Zeta Chapter at the UCLA School of Dentistry
- 2009 - Kathy and Randy Wall Endowment Scholarship