Henry H. Takei, D.D.S., M.S.
- (310) 825-5393
UCLA School of Dentistry
10833 Le Conte Ave.
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1668
Dr. Takei is a Distinguished Clinical Professor of Periodontics in the Section of Periodontics at the UCLA School of Dentistry. In addition, he serves as a Consultant in Periodontics at the Veterans Hospital in Los Angeles and is a Visiting Professor at Meikai University in Japan.
Areas of Expertise:
- Periodontal Plastic Surgery
- Periodontal Regenerative Therapy
- Periodontal Anatomy and Histology
- Non-Surgical Periodontal Therapy
- 1995 – Present - Course Director, Advanced Clinical Periodontics, PER300 and PER301
- 2013 – Present - Course Director, Periodontal Pathology, Diagnosis and Treatment Planning
- 1994 – Present - Course Director, Post-Doctoral Periodontics, Periodontal Techniques Seminar
- 1994 – Present - Co-course Director, Periodontal Prosthetic, Orthodontic Treatment Planning Seminar, Postdoctoral Periodontics
- 1990 – Present - Faculty for Advanced International Dental Studies in Clinical Periodontics and Implant Surgery
- 1987 – Present -Course Director and Instructor, Japanese Dental Study Club, Annual Continuing Education Course
- 1980 – Present - Postdoctoral Periodontics, Clinical Instructor
Patient Care Activities:
Dr. Takei supervises the patient care delivered by the Post-Doctoral Residents in the UCLA Postgraduate Periodontics and Implant Surgery Clinic. He also treats patients in private practice limited to periodontics and implant surgery.
- 1961, University of Southern California
- 1965, D.D.S., Marquette University School of Dentistry
- 1966, Pathology Residency, Veterans Administration Hospital, Wood, WI
- 1967, M.S., Marquette University, Graduate School
- 1967, Certificate in Periodontics, Marquette University School of Dentistry
In addition to conducting clinical research in periodontics, Dr. Takei is involved in the development of educational materials for undergraduate and graduate education in periodontics and implant surgery. Dr. Takei has also been active in Continuing Education throughout the world having presented more than 600 lectures and seminars in the United States, Canada, Europe, Asia and South America. He has also given more than 200 continuing education courses for UCLA.
Dr. Takei founded the first, formal UCLA Continuing Dental Education courses with universities in Japan, and also launched a Dental Student Exchange Program with Japanese universities which has been permanently endowed.
- Fellow of the American College of Dentists
- Fellow of the International College of Dentists
- Omicron Kappa Upsilon
- American Dental Association
- American Academy of Periodontology
- California Society of Periodontology
- American Academy of Esthetic Dentistry
- Pierre Fauchard Academy
- “Honorary Alumnus of the Year, 1998,” UCLA School of Dentistry
- “Distinguished Alumnus of the Year, 2001,” Marquette University
- Eight graduating classes have selected Dr. Takei as their "Outstanding Professor”
- Alpha Omega Educator Award in 1975
- Robert B. Wolcott Award, 1996. U.C.L.A. Service Recognition
- “Master Clinician Award, 2006,” American Academy of Periodontology (the organization's highest clinical honor)
- Honorary Doctorate Award, 2015, Meikai-Asahi University (35 years of academic, clinical, & research exchange program)