Beatriz Bezerra, D.D.S., Ph.D.
- (310) 825-0200
UCLA School of Dentistry
10833 Le Conte Ave.
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1668
Dr. Beatriz Bezerra joined the UCLA School of Dentistry in 2018 as an Assistant Clinical Professor. Prior to joining the Section of Periodontics, Dr. Bezerra served as the UCLA AEGD program director from 2018 to 2020. She obtained a Master’s and Ph.D. from the Piracicaba Dental School in Brazil where she studied the impact of diabetes in Periodontal Disease. Dr. Bezerra is currently the Director of the Pre-doctoral Program in the Section of Periodontics
She completed her certificate in Adv. Education in General Dentistry at the Eastman Institute for Oral Health in 2015 and the certificate in Periodontics and Implant Dentistry in 2018. Concurrent with her residency program in Periodontics she pursued a Master’s in Medical Management at the Simon Business School at the University of Rochester. In 2019, Dr. Bezerra became a Diplomate of the American Board of Periodontology.
- Tsigarida A, Toscano J, de Brito Bezerra B, Geminiani A, Barmak AB, Caton J, Chochlidakis K. Buccal bone thickness of maxillary anterior teeth. A systematic review and meta-analysis. Journal of Clinical Periodontology. 2020. Ahead of print
- de Brito Bezerra B, Gajendra S. Down syndrome and periodontal disease: role of the immune system. J J Dent Res. 2015, 2(4): 030.
- Pacios S, Andriankaja O, Kang J, Alnammary M, Bae J, de Brito Bezerra B, Schreiner H, Fine DH, Graves DT. Bacterial infection increases periodontal bone loss in diabetic rats through enhanced apoptosis. American Journal of Pathology. 2013 Dec; 183(6):1928-35.
- Kang J, de Brito Bezerra B, Pacios S, Andriankaja O, Li Y, Tsiagbe V, Schreiner H, Fine DH, Graves DT. Aggregatibacter actinomycetemcomitans infection enhances apoptosis in vivo through a caspase-3-dependent mechanism in experimental periodontitis. Infection & Immunity. 2012 Jun; 80(6):2247-56.
- Bezerra B de B, Andriankaja O, Kang J, Pacios S, Bae HJ, Li Y, Tsiagbe V, Schreiner H, Fine DH, Graves DT. A. actinomycetemcomitans-induced periodontal disease promotes systemic and local responses in rat periodontium. Journal of Clinical Periodontology. 2012 Apr; 39(4):333-41.
- de Brito Bezerra B, Mendes Brazão MA, de Campos ML, Casati MZ, Sallum EA, Sallum AW. Association of hyaluronic acid with a collagen scaffold may improve bone healing in critical-size bone defects. Clinical Oral Implants Research. 2012 Aug; 23(8):938-42.
D.D.S., Federal University of Ceara, 2004
MSc., Piracicaba Dental School, State University of Campinas, 2007
Ph.D., Piracicaba Dental School, State University of Campinas, 2010
Certificate in Advanced Education in General Dentistry, EIOH - University of Rochester, 2015
Certificate in Periodontics and Implant Dentistry, EIOH - University of Rochester, 2018
Master’s in Medical Management, Simon Business School - University of Rochester, 2018
Periodontal and Bone regeneration
- Diplomate, American Board of Periodontolog
- American Academy of Periodontology
- American Dental Association
- California Dental Association
- International Association for Dental Research
- American Association for Dental Research