Bill Piskorowski, D.D.S.
- (310) 825-9282
UCLA School of Dentistry
10833 Le Conte Ave.
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1668
Dr. Bill Piskorowski holds a DDS from Loyola University, Chicago, IL and practiced dentistry from 1979 to 2006, which he left to take a full time position at the University of Michigan School of Dentistry as Director of Outreach and Community Affairs. As Asst. Dean for Community-Based Dental Education, he grew the program from a 3 week experience for dental students at 4 external sites with 8 preceptors in 2006 to a maximum of 12 weeks of experience with over 30 sites and 117 credentialed preceptors. Connected to this growth was also the creation of a one-of-a-kind nationally recognized program that was financially self-sustaining. In 2013 he received the prestigious William J. Gies Award for Outstanding Innovation by a Dental Educator as recognition of his achievements in this area. In 2014, he was the recipient of the Emmett C. Bolden Dentist Citizen of the Year Award from the Michigan Dental Association and the Innovation in HealthCare Award by the Hamilton Community Health Network, for enhancing oral health care services to underserved populations of Flint, Michigan.
After retiring from UofM School of Dentistry, Dr. Piskorowski was saluted by the regents with the honor of Clinical Associate Professor Emeritus of Dentistry. Leaving a program on solid ground that further enhances student’s education and access to care for vulnerable populations.
In 2017, he accepted the position of Associate Dean for Community-Based Clinical Education (CBCE), Health Science Clinical Professor at UCLA School of Dentistry. The program echoes the vision of the Dean by bringing the Dental School to the Community. In its’ humble beginnings, the CBCE program has treated over 15000 patients delivering over 30,000 procedures seeing each 4th year dental student providing 6 weeks of service in their 4th year with plans of expansion.
Dr. Piskorowski is passionate about access to care issues for those less fortunate and has delivered numerous presentations to schools, state legislators and component dental societies regarding the school’s of dentistry community involvement.
The innovative service model now exists at several universities with others considering the template for their student service learning program.
Dr Piskorowski taught in Comprehensive Care Clinic, Principles of Operative Dentistry and Lecture/ Lab to dental hygienists. Also, he was the director or co-course director for Community Based Clinical Education, Societal and Regulatory Issues Affecting Dentistry, Practice Management, Introduction to the Profession and Oral Health Promotion, and Health Care Systems and Policy.
- DDS, Dentistry, Loyola University, Chicago, IL, 1979
- BS, Biology, University of Detroit, Detroit, MI, 1975
- Pre-Dent, Oakland University, Rochester, MI, 1971
Enhancing student’s education while increasing access to care for vulnerable populations.
- 1973-1975: Alpha Epsilon Delta – Honor Society (Member)
- 1975-present: Delta Sigma Delta – Dental Fraternity (Member)
- 2002-2010: Francis B.Vedder Society of Crown and Bridge Prosthodontics (Member)
- 2006-2014: Michigan Oral Health Care Coalition-(Member, Board of Directors) (Chair –elect,
- 2006-present: American Dental Education Association (Member)
- 2007-2015: Vice –Chair Board, Michigan Community Dental Clinics (MCDC)
- 2008-2017: Michigan access to oral health care work group (Member)
- 1979-present: American Dental Association (Member)
- 1979-present: Macomb Dental Association (Member)
- 1979-present: Michigan Dental Association (Member)
- 2001-2002: Clinical Instructor of the Year, University of Michigan (2nd floor blue clinic)
- 2002-2003: Commendation for Teacher Performance, University of Michigan
- 2002-2006: Clinical Instructor of the Year, University of Michigan (2nd floor blue clinic)
- 2005: Outstanding Leadership Award, Honorable Mention, University of Michigan’s Workplace Selection Committee
- 2011.10.04: Inducted into the Pierre Fauchard Academy
- 2012.02.17: ADA Golden Apple Award, Michigan Dental Association, Member of care work group
- 2012.11: ADEA Gies Foundation “Gies Award for Outstanding Innovation - by a Dental Educator” Dr. Wilhelm A. Piskorowski, University of Michigan School of Dentistry
- 2013.10: Inducted into The International College of Dentists at the American Dental Association Annual session in New Orleans, Louisiana
- 2014.05.01: Recipient of the “Emmett C. Bolden Dentist Citizen of the Year Award” from the Michigan Dental Association Board of Trustees
- 2016.07: Notification to be inducted to the American College of Dentists, 2018 Annual Session in Honolulu, Hawaii, Deferred Induction per my request in 2018 because of previous conflict.
- 2017.07.17: Regents of the University of Michigan salute “Wilhelm A. Piskorowski, Clinical Associate Professor Emeritus of Dentistry”
- 2017.08.03: Innovation in HealthCare Award, presented by the Hamilton Community Health Network at their 35th Anniversary Celebration Banquet, Bringing Oral Health Care Services to underserved populations of Flint, Michigan