Kathryn A. Atchison, D.D.S., M.P.H.
- (310) 825-6544
UCLA School of Dentistry
10833 Le Conte Ave.
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1668
Dr. Kathryn A. Atchison holds a professor appointment in the school's Division of Public Health and Community Dentistry and is jointly appointed in the UCLA Jonathan and Karin Fielding School of Public Health, Department of Health Policy Management. Dr. Atchison served UCLA as the Vice Provost, New Collaborative Initiatives for UCLA from 2011 to 2016 where she assisted faculty in launching novel academic and research programs, many of which cross national and disciplinary boundaries. Before that she served the campus as Vice Provost Intellectual Property and Industry Relations from 2005 to 2011. From 1998 to 2004 she served as the School of Dentistry's Associate Dean for Research and Knowledge Management. During that time she increased young scientists applications to career development awards and led the selection and implementation of the first electronic health record for the School. She served as the School of Dentistry's Residency Director for Geriatric Dentistry from 2000 to 2006. During 2014-15, Dr. Atchison was on special assignment to the Office of the Director of the National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research (NIDCR) in the National Institutes of Health where she helped develop strategies aimed at strengthening NIDCR's ability to translate research discoveries into new tools and treatment. Dr. Atchison served on the editorial boards of the Journal of the American College of Dentists, the Journal of Public Health Dentistry and the Journal of Dental Education and , the Publications Committee for Community Dentistry and Oral Epidemiology. She served on the Publication Committee for the Journal of Dental Research. She is a fellow of the American Association for Dental Research. In 2007, she completed a one-year term as president of the American Association of Public Health Dentistry. She was the recipient of the International Association for Dental Research's 2008 Distinguished Scientist Award for Behavioral Sciences, Epidemiology and Health Services Research.
Courses Taught: Dent19 Fiat Lux: Intellectual Property (course chair)
Certificate, Dental Public Health, University of California, San Francisco, 2002
Certificate, Geriatric Medicine & Dentistry, University of California, Los Angeles, 1992
MPH, Boston University School of Public Health, 1982
D.D.S., Marquette University, 1978
Undergraduate education, University of Wisconsin, 1971-1974
Dr. Atchison is the author of more than 100 articles, chapters, and monographs. As a health services researcher, her research focuses on doctor-patient communication, health outcomes, assessment of care, and health literacy. She has been funded as principal investigator by the National Institutes for Dental and Craniofacial Research, the Health Resources and Services Administration, and the Agency for Health Care Policy and Research.
- American Dental Association
- American Associate for Dental Research
- International Association for Dental Research
- Member American Dental Education Association
- American Association of Public Health Dentistry
- Robert Wood Johnson National Dental Health Services Research Scholars Program, UCLA 1984-86
- Dental Honorary Society 1993, Omicron Kappa Upsilon Ð Epsilon Chapter
- Coordinating author for Determinants of Health Ch. for Surgeons General Report on Oral Health, 1997-2000
- Produced a five chapter Technical Report Volume 3. ÒGlobal Review on Oral Health in Ageing Societies.Ó For the WHO Kobe Centre for Health Development Ageing and Health World Health Organization with Dr. Prathip Phantumvanit and Dr. Helen Gift
- Summer Leadership Institute Fellow 1995, American Dental Education Association
- Department of Health and Human Services, Primary Health Care Policy Fellow, 2003, nominated by and representing American Association of Public Health Dentistry
- The Hedwig van Ameringen Executive Leadership in Academic Medicine (ELAM) Program for Women, 2004-2005
- Distinguished Faculty Member, UCLA School of Dentistry, 2005
- International Association for Dental Research 2008 Distinguished Scientist Award for Behavioral Sciences, Epidemiology and Health Services Research.
- Member, International Council of St. Petersburg National Research University of Information Technologies, Mechanics and Optics (ITMO University). St. Petersburg, Russia. 2013-2017
- Fellow (elected) 2016, American Association Dental Research